Consultancy: Clean Technology & Energy Transition
Consultancy: Clean Technology & Energy Transition is at the heart of maritime decarbonisation
- improving vessel efficiency (lower fuel and power consumption) and emissions reduction – through retrofit and application of new technology and techniques.
- enabling ‘net zero’ through transition to clean energy sources e.g. offshore floating wind
Helping clients baseline operations, assess improvement measures and develop emissions reduction strategy
Low carbon, clean technology to improve vessel efficiency is at the heart of Houlder’s thinking and strategy. We get involved with new technology evaluation from an independent, experienced standpoint. Decades of vessel knowledge helps us identify challenges, generate options and assess what will work in practice. Case Studies
Our areas of interest and expertise include:
- Energy efficiency technology in which we look at propulsion, resistance, operation and machinery
- Alternative fuel strategy
- Emission reduction including engine technologies, fuel cells and carbon capture
Government policy, pressure from lenders, and customer demand are driving vessel owners and operators to find ways to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from their fleets. Those that fail to take action risk their assets falling foul of increasingly stringent regulation, being subject to carbon levies, and losing business to ‘greener’ rivals. Those that seize the opportunities can improve vessel performance and help secure their businesses for the coming decades. However, while the direction is clear, there is significant uncertainty on how shipping will reduce GHG to the levels required by the IMO’s ambitious targets.
What we offer?
- Review the fleet’s existing operations, fuel burn and emissions.
- Determine carbon intensity of each vessel and compare with carbon intensity reduction pathways to meet the IMO 2030 and 2050 ambitions. This will give an indication of the fleet’s current performance and the risk posed by vessels becoming non-compliant or falling on the wrong side of two-tier market.
Assess Improvement Measures
- Identify viable technologies, estimate their effectiveness and cost of implementation.
- This can include road mapping the improvement measures across the next 30 years to predict where they may become technical viable and commercially favourable, if they are not already.
Develop Emissions Reduction Strategy
- Prioritise improvement measures to give best value emissions reduction.
- Recommend achievable emissions reduction targets for different investment scenarios. If appropriate, this could include procurement of new replacement vessels.
Houlder specialises in offshore wind.
Offshore Fixed Wind
For years now Houlder has worked with offshore wind installation contractors to seafasten their wind turbine generator (WTG) equipment for transport (More), and to design the specialist equipment required to lift and install WTG components. More recently we have been working on several projects relating to service operations vessels (SOV) in relation to optimising the W2W for site specific conditions.
Offshore Floating Wind
Offshore Floating Wind represents a massive opportunity as technical, commercial, and logistical hurdles are overcome. This opportunity feels closer than ever before as offshore oil majors’ transition to “energy companies” and make significant investment (Equinor, BP, Shell, Total).
Houlder is well positioned to support these projects. Naval Architecture is at the heart of the company and we have years of experience in the offshore environment Our knowledge of hydrodynamics (vessel motions), stability calculations, structural design, fatigue assessments, mooring and riser analysis, environmental studies, towing plans, logistics and planning, are all directly applicable to this industry.
Houlder professionals have a wealth of experience to share regarding marine operations including operations, port infrastructure, fleet management, crewing and chartering. This, coupled with the in-house capability to model systems, means clients can benefit from sound and well thought through analysis. Houlder has supported government and commercial clients in this way. Case Studies